Every espresso machine needs specific cleaning procedures to ensure optimal functionality.
Cleaning the Breville Barista Pro is not a difficult task, but you should ensure you do it correctly so that your machine is kept in good condition.
Below, we step you through the flush process for the Breville Barista Pro so you can get back to making coffee in no time.
What does flush mean on Breville coffee machine?
Backflushing is a term used to refer to the process of removing buildup in espresso machines.
The pressure valve is opened and water and cleaner are forced through the machine.
This causes any build-up to be cleaned out which keeps your coffee tasting as it should and prevents any damage from occurring to the machine.
How to know your Breville Barista Pro needs backflushing
Tour Brevbile Barista Pro will let you know when it’s ready for a flush by displaying the word “FLUSH” on the LCD screen.
Keep in mind that the flush cleaning cycle is different to the descaling process.
How to flush a Breville Barista Pro
Here’s the step-by-step process for flushing a Breville Barista Pro:
- Insert the cleaning disc into the filter basket in the portafilter.
- Place a cleaning tablet on top of the cleaning disc.
- Lock the portafilter into the group head.
- Empty the drip tray and replace onto the machine.
- Fill the water tank to the MAX line then reattach to the machine.
- Press the MENU button to enter the main menu.
- Use the GRIND AMOUNT dial to navigate the menu to FLUSH, then press to select. The 1 CUP button will illuminate.
- Press the 1 CUP button to start the cleaning cycle. The remaining time for the cleaning cycle will be displayed on the LCD.
- Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the machine will beep and return to READY mode. If any of the cleaning tablet remains in the cleaning disc, repeat the cycle.
- Empty and rinse the portafilter, cleaning disc and drip tray.
Check out the below video guide to see the process in action:
How often should you flush a Breville Barista Pro?
The frequency that the flush cleaning cycle is required will depend on how often you use the coffee machine. To make sure that your Breville Barista Pro stays in top condition, you should flush it every time the FLUSH alert pops up. This alert should appear about once every 4-6 weeks based on regular use.