There are several reasons why you’d want to know how many coffees you can make from a 1kg bag of coffee beans, including:
- You may want to know how much money you’re spending on each coffee.
- You might be wondering if 1kg of coffee will stay fresh for long enough for you to work your way through it.
Whatever your reason, we’re here to help you figure out the answer!
How many coffees will you get from 1kg beans?
Assuming you use an espresso machine, you’ll get approximately 125 coffees from a 1kg bag.
This is based on the following assumptions:
- A single shot per coffee at 8grams per shot
- No wastage
Naturally, the answer to this question depends on how many grams of coffee you use per cup.
A single shot will use from 7 – 9 grams, whereas a double shot uses anywhere from 14 – 22 grams.
So to calculate how many coffees you can make from 1kg of beans, divide the total weight (1000 grams) by the amount you use per cup (7 – 22 grams) to get to the total number of cups.
- The brewing method you use for making your coffee will affect how many cups you can get from each bag of beans. French press, drip machines and espresso machines all require different amounts of grounds and water to brew a cup.
- The size of your cup can also affect how many cups you can make from a bag of beans. If you have large mugs of french press coffee you may use more beans per cup than someone else brewing with the same method.
- The ratio between water and coffee is another important part of this equation. This is more relevant to brew methods like french press or filter, where the higher the coffee to water ratio, the fewer cups of coffee you’ll make from a 1kg bag.
How much does a coffee bean weigh?
A roasted coffee bean weighs around 0.12 grams.
This means a 1kg bag should contain around 8,300 coffee beans.
The actual weight of any single coffee bean will vary based on a range of factors including the size of the bean, the variety, and the roast.
How long should you keep coffee beans?
Make sure you store coffee beans in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
Coffee should last for up to 2-3 weeks after roasting. After that point, they’ll start to go stale and lose some of their flavours.
We recommend people buy small amounts regularly. Coffee beans tend to start losing freshness right after roasting.
It is best to buy small amounts regularly, aim for every two weeks, in order to keep it at its peak. Make sure the roast date is stated clearly on the bag.